Thursday, November 24, 2005

RENT!



Ok, I LOVE RENT! I always have. I've seen the stage production 4 times. I know all the words to all the songs, and even some of the dialogue. I even have Idina Menzel's CD "Still I Can't Be Still." Oh yah, I love it

So, I drove an hour to see the movie last night with my friend Blake, who is also a total Rent-head. We used to sing along to the CD all the time. We used to get a bunch of our friends together and act it out in his living room (yah I know, FREAKS!) So, we went to see it at 7:15, ut it was sold out. So we waited 3 1/2 hours for the next showing. YAH RENT! We were so excited!

Then the movie started. And honestly - I was not into it as I would be if I was seeing it on stage. I've always loved it on stage and have been totally into it. That feeling just didn't transfer well on the big screen.

The beginning was all out of whack - things in different orders. It was weird hearing what usually is sung only being spoken. I mean, overall, it was good. Rosario Dawson did a good job and Tracie Thoms was great. She WAY rocked it out! Some things were really great, but some things were just way dissapointing.

Personally, if you've never seen it on stage, then sure - go see the movie. I guess after lusting over the stage version for so long, it was hard to take in the movie. But, I still liked it. And I still cried! :)

Rent movie - B-

3 comments:

Dustin Harder said...

Please dont start grading things on your blog. As for the movie. I really enjoyed it. As with any movie there are things i liked and things I didnt like. I set my expectations pretty low though so I wasnt really dissapointed-I didnt see it as being a movie really-ever. Part of it NOT having a set on the stage is what lends it to being so brilliant-all you need is the lyrics.

Haha! My word was "sbjuey"

Dustin Harder said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chargenda said...

What's wrong with grades on blogs?! Yeah, my friend was there who didn't know the songs at all and was totally unfamiliar with it and he loved it.