Thursday, June 15, 2006

A-K-E-E-L-A-H!


So, I had been wanting to see this movie for the longest time. I drink Starbucks all the time, so I saw all the advertisment for it. Hey, if Starbucks makes it, is has to be good!

So, after many failed attempts at seeing it, I did today. And I would just like to say that this movie was fabulous! I'm amazed at how a simple movie can be so moving. Me, of all people, cryed practially through the ENTIRE movie. Everything just brought out all these emotions. It was so great!

There is a quote in the movie that Laurence Fishburne's character makes Akeelah read. Here it is - it's a great quote and something we should live by ...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Oh, and as for Keke Palmer, the girl that plays Akeelah - GIRL! You fucking rock! If I do not see this girl in more movies, I will kill someone. Someone will suffer!

So, if you haven't seen this movie, find a movie theatre that is still playing it and go see it. It's great. If you have, go see it again. And everyone buy it when it comes out on DVD. Buy me a copy, too!

No comments: