Friday, September 23, 2005

I HATE HURRICANES!


Ok, I'm SO over it. I grew up in Louisiana and then I moved to Florida. I have definately seen my share of hurricanes. I was there when Walt Disney World closed for the 1st time - for a hurricane. Since then, they have closed 3 or 4 other times. Living in Louisiana, hurricane season is something we just grew to live with. And yes, we had our share of heavey hitters - Andrew and others. Well, Katrina caused some damage that no one ever thought possible. New Orleans, a city that was known for the fun times had there, is now destroyed. I drove through Southern Mississippi on my way to Florida recently, and it was like a ghost town. Driving for miles though darkness and all of the businesses on the side of the highway closed and deserted. My hometown of Lafayette has seem to become a haven for those who have lost homes, belongings, famlies ... and most of all - hope. Now with Hurricane Rita on the way, these people are being asked to move once again, to make room for all of the people who are once again running. I can only imagine what the Gulf Coast will be like after these two hurricanes - and we can only pray that there are none on the way. My heart goes out to all of those affected by these two storms. I know that the city of Lafayette has opened it's arms to help all of those who need help. For all of you out of harm's way, DONATE to the Red Cross or the United Way. Places like New Orleans were starting on the way to recovery, and has ben pushed right back to where it started, if not further. The south needs all the help it can get. God bless all of you!

http://www.redcross.org

http://national.unitedway.org

No comments: